By popular demand from the party, I am posting the crowd pleasing recepies of angel food cake and my pie crust. Both are so nice for summer berry consumption. Enjoy!
ANGEL Food Cake
1 ¼ cups icing sugar
2. 1 cup of flour
3. 1 ½ cups of egg white, approx 1 dozen eggs (room temperature)
(make sure not to get ANY yoke in the whites, as it won’t fluff properly)
4. 1 ½ tsp crème of tartar
5. 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
6. ¼ tsp salt
7. ¼ tsp almond extract
8. 1 cup of sugar
1. Sift icing sugar and flour together, set aside
2. Combine egg whites, crème of tartar, vanilla and almond extracts, salt
Beat at high speed until fluffy
3. Add sugar, 2 tbps at a time, and continue to bear until sugar dissolves and egg whites shiny and fluffy.
4. Fold in flour and icing sugar mixture
5. Pour into tube pan (ungreased). Cut through batter with a knife to release air pocket
6. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes
7. Invert pan and cool
My favorite is to serve this cake with fresh strawberries and whip cream. YUM!
Ellen’s Never Fail Pastry
Makes 4 pie shells
4 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1 lb (454g package) shortening
1 egg beaten in a measuring cup, top up with cold water to 1 cup level
Cute shortening into flour and salt mixture.
Add egg and water mixture all at once until ball forms.
Do not need the dough.
Put dough in fridge to chill before rolling
Separate dough into equal portions and dough can be frozen until neede